Sunday, August 3, 2008

World Breastfeeding Week & Other Ramblings

World Breastfeeding Week started a couple of days ago. It runs from August 1st through the 7th, 2008. Since I don't have any children I've obviously never breastfed a baby, but I am still a fan and beliver in breastfeeding. When I get the chance to have my own little one I fully intend to breastfeed. Even if my journey ends with adoption of an infant I would like to try at least partial breastfeeding. So all you breastfeeding mama's out there: good for you for giving your babe the best possible start in life. And any pregnant mama's reading: please, at least research breastfeeding and make an informed decision.

On to another subject, I *THINK* I may have ovulated this cycle--WOO-HOO!!! You see, I have PCOS and I don't ovulate at all without meds and then only about a quarter of the time. I've taken so much Clomid over the course of the past 4 years that just the mention of Clomid makes my poor husband, Mark, slink away and hide from me. That is one mean drug I tell ya. Mood swings like nobody's business, a headache that rages for a week or more, hot flashes that make you honestly feel like your head is on fire, and the list goes on. Yet after each crying jag, temper tantrum, or near spontaneous combustion episode you feel delighted that maybe the side effects means the Clomid is working.
But this cycle we decided to try a drug called Femara (letrozole) instead of the Clomid. So far so good, very very slight headache, no moodieness--M is ecstatic about that of course--and instead of hot flashes it's more like feeling warm and fuzzy for a couple minutes. I'm loving this Femara stuff! My infertility doc, Dr. B, started me out on 7.5mgs of Femara days 3-7 so I'm really hoping I at least ovulate this cycle.

Well, I'm off to enjoy the rest of my Sunday with M, it's a pretty rare thing when we have a whole day to spend together alone.

No comments: